Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

How To Make The Most Divine Mutton & Mince Korma Ever

Around a month back I read a recipe from Pamela Timm's book - Korma, Kheer and Kismet. It was a mutton korma recipe from Ashok and Ashok Meat Dhaba. Very few ingredients and the deadly combination of mince AND mutton. I finally got around to making it and it is simply delicious. I tweaked the recipe slightly, skipping the slow cooking process totally.  Here's how I made it.

Ingredients
3 tbsp ghee (I used cow ghee)
1 onions, peeled and grated
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic 
1 tbsp garam masala 
1 brown cardamom 
3 green cardamoms 
3 cloves 
5 black peppercorns 
250 gms minced mutton (I got it put through the mincer twice) 
600 gms mixed shoulder and rack of mutton 
1 tsp turmeric 
1 heaped tsp red chilli powder 
2 tsp salt 
6 green chilis finely chopped
5 medium-sized tomatoes, finely chopped 
Grated ginger and chopped coriander to garnish
Method
Melt the ghee in a large pan. Add the onions, ginger and garlic and cook until well browned, 10-15 minutes. Add the garam masala, brown and green cardamoms, cloves and peppercorns and stir well. Add the minced mutton and mutton pieces, coating well with the spices. Stir in the turmeric, chilli powder and salt.
Then cook on a low heat for about 20 minutes until everything is well browned. Add the chopped tomatoes, chilis and enough water to cover the meat. Pressure cook for 12 whistles.
Check seasoning and add more salt or chilli if required. Garnish with grated ginger and fresh coriander.
You should ideally eat it with roti. But being a good Bong, I ate it with rice. 


2 comments:

  1. This is out of the world! I know what I am serving my guests this weekend :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rajyasree,

    I have been following your columns for a while and really depend on your reviews in making choices. Your review about Burger King in First Post is exactly how I felt about the psyche of Indians. But I ten to excuse the tendency of queuing up for food as an inborn characteristic of being food lovers and explorers : )

    Quite honestly, I thought of reaching out to you as I wanted to dig your brain regarding the presence of US burger chains and Italian cuisine in India. Do you think there is space for more? What must one do to stand out? Without doubt you are a very busy woman but I couldn't help writing to you for this work related project that I am doing.

    I run a social networking website called Social Potpourri which also has a member contributed "salivate" section. Would love for you to take a look.

    Hope you have a wonderful 2015 and discover cuisines that make you happy. (I wish I had your job :P)

    Best
    - Kriti Mukherjee

    ReplyDelete